Introduction to the 2018 ARRL Midwest Division Convention
by Tim Busch, NØCKR, Convention Chairman
The Cedar Valley Amateur Radio Club in Cedar Rapids, Iowa is delighted to announce that we are hosting the 2018 American Radio Relay League (ARRL) Midwest Division Convention, August 4th & 5th, 2018 at the Linn County Fairgrounds, 201 Central City Rd, Central City, Iowa. The grounds occupy a 39 acre site along with six acres of free parking, so there will be plenty of room for convention activities. A large attendance is expected from not only the Midwest Division states, but also neighboring Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois as well.
Based on declining attendance at hamfests across the country in recent years, CVARC has chosen to modify the traditional hamfest / convention format and include other STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) organizations in addition to amateur radio groups. It is our belief that this cross-pollination of STEM organizations will help strengthen each other with a win-win event for all involved.
- There will be traditional convention activities such as Forums, Organization Meetings, and Hands-on Activities for kids and adults alike.
- We have enough space to include balloon launches, drone races, rocket launches, and radio control hobbyists in the track centerfield.
- There will be a banquet Saturday night with a Wouff Hong ceremony afterwards.
- There is limited camping onsite and a large campground (Pinicon Ridge Park Campground) across the 4-lane highway for those wishing to camp at the event.
- Hotels are 15 minutes away and we expect block-room pricing.
- VE Testing will be available Saturday and Sunday.
Fees for the event include:
- Kids under 18 FREE!
- Adults $10 per person.
- $10 per indoor table ($15 after July 1)
- $10 per outdoor flea market site (car/truck/tent/table) ($15 after July 1)
- $20 per banquet ticket
- $20 RV camping per night
This is YOUR Convention. Individuals, organizations, and clubs wishing to host a forum, organizational meeting, other activities are welcome to email me with suggested topics. We want your involvement!
We hope to see you all at the Convention; THE big event of the summer!
73 de Tim, NØCKR